Friday, March 10, 2006

I Hate The Cable Company

Ever since I met that company in Pennsylvania, the one that lost their founder Phil, I've hated them.

My first encounter was in Indiana, PA in 1994 when I tried to have cable installed in my new apartment. "No, we cannot come to install it..." the curt customer service rep said. In fact, they wanted me to drive 20 miles to their office to pick up the unit and drive 20 miles back to install it myself. And on top of that, they wanted an installation fee and a deposit. I don't remember the exact amounts, but it wasn't chump change.

After holding for the supervisor to get on the line, I succeeded in getting the installation done by them and not paying the deposit. But when I ended service and moved a year later, I still had to return the box and put up with the 40 mile round trip.

It seems the city of Indiana is a "college town" and they assumed I was just another college a*hole who would do it their way, pay up and not complain. Hey, I was born in Brooklyn, watch out, I know a rip off when I see one.

When I returned to my beloved Maine, I discovered the complete opposite in the local, family run State Cable right here in beautiful downtown Augusta. Four years later, my happiness was turned to pain when I learned that Adelphia - those cretins from PA - were taking over.

Umpteen fee increases, crappy quality and horrid customer service, I am now paying over $75 per month for the worst crap to travel our airwaves. I don't have the time to rant about the 200 channels I never look at, but my sentiments are reflected in an article I read today in the newspaper (yes, the newspaper which still costs only 60 cents).

Cable Firms Prefer One Choice - was published by the Free Market Project. I'm not sure about the FMP, they may be coo-coo's too, but at least I agree with Dan Gainor on this one.

Read it and weep.

jeb

No comments: