Monday, May 16, 2011

Space Shuttle Endeavour

Alan Shepherd
Alan Shephard in Freedom 7 - May 5, 1961
Endeavour
Space Shuttle Endeavour - May 16, 2011
A little more than 50 years ago, Astronaut Alan Shephard became the second man and the first American in space. At the time I was 8 years old and in third grade. I don't remember the event exactly, but I am fairly certain we watched as Freedom 7 - the capsule on top of the Mercury-Redstone 3 rocket lifted off at about 9:30 in the morning. As was to become the custom for space launches that took place during school time (and they all seemed to in those days), the nuns had us say some prayers before the flight.

Like hundreds of millions of kids, I was hooked on the space race from that time on. So this morning, I stayed home and missed the beginning of a meeting so I could watch the final launch of space shuttle Endeavour, as she lifted off from Cape Kennedy on STS-134.

I may have said a little said a little prayer.

No comments: