Monday, August 02, 2010

Maine goes mobile

maine.gov mobile portal
Since having an iPod Touch for the past 16 months or so, I've become a bit of a "mobile" snob. Granted, I am not a "smart phone snob," but I have become a bit (more) annoying.

But there is much to be said about making sure your website design looks good on mobile devices. It is something I have worked on with my own sites and those of my jebswebs.com clients.

If you are running on WordPress, there is a free (and a paid) template that is optimized for viewing on mobile devices. Basically, it is another set of style sheets (CSS) that get called up when the server detects that the user agent is a mobile browser. That's geek talk for - it's magic!

Anyway, I am happy to report that the State of Maine's website - maine.gov is now optimized for mobile devices. And they have taken it a step further by adding autodetect, HTML5 and geolocation so not only does maine.gov know where you are, it can customize its offerings to show you local treats. And, it will automatically sense your device and provide the proper style.

Read more about maine.gov's mobile portal.

No comments: